As far back as 1936 with more than 1900 stands, Rynfield was proclaimed. During the mid 1960’s the City Council then took position of the open areas of Rynfield and discovered that these areas were not registered in the name of the Council.
The piece of land that was bordered by Pretoria Road, Davidson Street, Miles Sharp Street and Struben Street, was designated as a public park.
Only in 1976 did they manage to get it all registered in their name. In the meantime the late Mr. Teun Dubbeld, the head of the Parks Department was instructed to create a recreational park for the Benoni population. He contacted the late Mr. L.J. van riet, the senior Architectural Assiatant of the Town Engineer’s Department to assist with the structural developments and ideas. And so the Bunny Park on one of these open areas, came into being.
The walk-in aviary is based on one Mr. van Riet saw at the Wassenaar Zoo near “The Hague” during a visit to the Netherlands. The design of the two toilet blocks was inspired by buildings of the “Flintstone Comic Strips”, using natural local rocks from the old railway cutting between Rynfield and Morehill, Ext 2.
This famous attraction in Rynfield covers an area of approximately 19 hectare and is inhabited by mountain goats and farmyard animals such as cattle, pigs, sheep, ponies and donkeys. It is also home to hundreds of cuddly bunnies. It has many waterfowl and a big aviary which once was stocked with more than fifty different types of exotic birds. As a result of constant theft, it now houses only a few common varieties. It has picnic facilities, a kiddies playground, a refreshment kiosk and an authentic thatched Zulu hut. The mining headgear displayed there once worked at the New Modder Mine which ceased operation in 1952. The park is open from 08.00 to 17.00 every day and attracts more than 500 families per week end.
From: Know your City by the Benoni Publicity Association